[Lazarus] fppkg and lazarus packages

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 11:30:46 CEST 2010

On 3 September 2010 11:08, Joost van der Sluis <joost at cnoc.nl> wrote:
>> ~ $ fppkg install lnet
>> The FPC Package tool encountered the following error:
>> [lnet] Package fcl-process <none> is not available
>> ------------------------------------
>
> This has nothing to do with 2.4.3, but that you have your
> fpc-installation in a non-default path and fpcsrc not set. (guess, it
> could also be a bug)
>
> Please set the prefix in the configuration-file to the right value, but
> on 2.4.3 it will be called BaseInstallDir. (~/.fppkg/config/default)
>
> Then try again.

no luck yet. I did this... environment variables are case sensitive
under linux, so wasn't sure which one, so set both.

opt $ export FPCSRC=/opt/fpc-2.4.3/src
opt $ export fpcsrc=/opt/fpc-2.4.3/src

opt $ fppkg install lnet
The FPC Package tool encountered the following error:
[lnet] Package fcl-process <none> is not available

By config file looks as follows:

------------------[ ~/.fppkg/config/default ]-------------------------
[Defaults]
ConfigVersion=4
BaseInstallDir=/opt/fpc-2.4.3/x86_64-linux/lib/fpc/2.4.3/
GlobalInstallDir=/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.4.3/
LocalInstallDir={LocalRepository}lib/2.4.3/
Compiler=/opt/fpc-2.4.3/x86_64-linux/bin/fpc
OS=linux
CPU=x86_64
Version=2.4.3

I don't have a GlobalInstallDir, I install FPC to /opt or ~/programming/
I don't know where LocalInstallDir is pointing to, due to the macro.

> If this doesn't work try 'fppkg list -v' and see what happens.

This gives no extra output.

$ fppkg list -v
Name                 Installed        Available
lnet                 -                0.6.4-2446

> Yeah, I think it's a better approach to add third-party packages and
> maybe move some packages from fpc to this third party packages and let
> the system mature.
>
> Then later on we can switch parts of fpc itself.

I thought fppkg was meant for third-party packages primarily. I see
the biggest advantage there... easy install of packages not included
with FPC. Automatically install package version suitable for your FPC
version. No svn or git tools required. No need to go to various
download websites. Simply 'fppkg install <packagename>'  :-)    If it
works. ;-)

PS:
Why doesn't fppkg use the GetAppConfigDir() location, which would
normally resolve to ~/.config/fppkg/

  - Graeme -