[Lazarus] How to produce a tone at Tone frequency for duration MSecs (milliseconds)

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Fri Sep 3 17:50:17 CEST 2010

On 9/3/2010 05:32, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Peter E Williams wrote:
>
>> Would someone please investigate porting the Windows.Beep procedure to
>> lazarus. I can convert the remainder of the TBeeper.pas unit to
>> Lazarus ... and I think that it would be popular (in limited circles).
>
> Please consider that in principle at least Lazarus and FPC are portable, and
> that to meet that requirement it's necessary to consider cases where the user is
> sitting at a screen that's some distance from the computer running his code. Cue
> discussion of X, VNC and comparable technology here.
>
> At this point you have to consider whether the noise is going to come out of a
> squeaker in front of the user, or in the computer itself.
>
> In the former case there is nothing in ASCII or any of the mainstream protocols
> which defines the properties of the beep.
>
> In the latter case do you intend to use the mainboard's squeaker, the
> soundcard's DSP, or an attached MIDI device? What do you intend to do if
> somebody is already using one of these- you could be somewhat less than popular
> if somebody's attempt to transfer black vinyl to .wav failed because you'd
> grabbed the DSP.

come one, folks... PEW is a game writer... games beep... why give him so much
grief about simply beeping the console's mainboard speaker?? it shouldn't be
that hard...

@PEW: how does your game install? does it have to install as root? if so, since
it is root, why not set up a new group that has access to the /dev device for
the speaker and add the user(s) to it? that way everyone can beep when needed...