[Lazarus] fppkg and lazarus packages

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 00:27:52 CEST 2010

>> What version number formats does fpmake support. eg: some projects use
>> a date (v0.7-2010-09-03), others use r<subversion_commit>
>> (v0.7.r43234) etc..
>>
>> So maybe fpmake should be more flexible with the last two areas of the
>> version number?  Just a thought.
>
> We thought about that and discarded it, since we need to be able to compare
> version numbers. With free format that is not possible.

Maybe use "half-free" format then:
A version number is a string composed of one or more parts
separated by ".".
Each part is either all-digit string or arbitrary string.
When comparing version numbers, all-digit parts are compared
as integers (e.g. 1 < 10), while parts containing non-digits
are compared as strings (e.g. alpha < beta).
Versions are ordered lexicographically as sequences of parts,
with leftmost parts deemed most significant.

--
Alexander S. Klenin