[Lazarus] Build Profiles revisited

Juha Manninen (gmail) juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 14:08:56 CEST 2010

On 9/3/2010 15:29, Sven Barth wrote:
> On 03.09.2010 17:50, waldo kitty wrote:
>> @PEW: how does your game install? does it have to install as root? if
>> so, since it is root, why not set up a new group that has access to the
>> /dev device for the speaker and add the user(s) to it? that way everyone
>> can beep when needed...
>
> I'd prefer a game NOT to fiddle around with security settings it hasn't to care
> about. And /dev/console is definitely part of this.

while i agree... i'm also as old school as PEW and i don't agree to a point or
several, actually... one of those being why is the beep action so looked down on
in the *nix environment? games started off with only the MB speaker as the way
of sounding  actions and activities... so what's the bitch problem? is everyone
these days so freakin' spoilt by traditional sound card stuff that they refuse
to recognize traditional MB speaker sounds? i mean geez, does the standard
(k)ubuntu solitaire really use the sound card when sounds are necessary? or the
oriental tile games? or the many other single player local console games?

so please tell me why today's folk are so jaundiced to the traditional methods
of game writing... surely it isn't due to ignorance... maybe it is due to too
much perceived character of their own person?? i dunno... but it is rather ugly,
distant and hateful...