[Lazarus] How to produce a tone at Tone frequency for duration MSecs (milliseconds)

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 09:52:21 CEST 2010

Reimar Grabowski wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 02:13:07 -0400
> waldo kitty <wkitty42 at windstream.net> wrote:
>
>> while i agree... i'm also as old school as PEW and i don't agree to a point or
>> several, actually... one of those being why is the beep action so looked down on
>> in the *nix environment?
> Requiring root to beep is just not acceptable.
> Audio hardware can be accessed via an API (ALSA, PulseAudio, OSS, portaudio, etc.) and by group audio, which is far better.

Something like a soundcard has a well-defined interface to the rest of
the computer: a set of I/O ports, and potentially DMA capabilities.

An onboard squeaker, /particularly/ on a PC, uses a small part of a chip
that's also critical to the operation of the rest of the system. And
that, I suspect, is why direct access to it is restricted.

Now it might be that other architectures, original Macs as a particular
example, don't have a separate beeper but only a fully-functional sound
generator. In which case there's no longer an issue: use ALSA or whatever.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk