[Lazarus] Subversion newbie questions. How to create repositories for my alpha and beta versions of my projects?

Peter E Williams foss.game.pascal.developer at iinet.net.au
Mon Sep 6 11:47:04 CEST 2010

Hi Felipe and All,

On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 10:54 +0200, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Peter E Williams
> <foss.game.pascal.developer at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > How can I use subversion to create an Internet repository for my code,
> > which is public domain but still copyright to me?
>
> you probably meant "publicly available" and not "public domain". See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Domain

Yes. And also my program projects are now Open Source [and have been for
a good number of years!!!]. However, I have not yet included a licence
agreement but I would pick the same one which Lazarus uses. Before the
term 'open source' became popular I wrote my programs as freeware with
the source code as public domain freeware (I am probably mixing my terms
here, but you get the idea).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_software

> I generally use assembla for getting a SVN for proprietary code:
> https://www.assembla.com/
>
> It is free for publicly available code and payed for closed
> repositories, but very cheap.

I have a very small budget and I am tight with it [money]. :-))) At
least I am being honest about this. *SMILE*

> Source forge is very good, but accepts only free software.

I *may* decide to use Source forge since my projects are all free.
Currently I simply have a download page on my website where people can
download either the source code or the compiled apps as a zip file. In
the case of the compiled apps, I provide them currently as a setup.exe
(in a zip file) for Windows (only) and this was created by the setup
creator with either Delphi 5 or 7. I will need to investigate an
equivalent cross-platform utility for my Lazarus apps which I want to
make available in multiple OS platforms. Testing this, of course, is a
lot of work and I don't have the resources nor desire to purchase
Windows computers or Macs simply to test my software.

> I don't know the terms of google code.

Google pages is a free website creator which allows for the creation of
google websites. At the moment that's all I need. I have not
investigated google code... although I am aware of it's existence. :-)))
That's something else I will need to look into. I wonder what licensing
agreements they support. Probably all of them ... but then again maybe
they support some kind of google code license. Does anyone know???

The great thing about google pages is that they give you massive amounts
of storage ... so that is almost never a problem. Certainly it has never
been a problem for me, but then my websites don't store media which
requires much storage e.g. no digitised media like video or sound or 3D
graphics etc. My games are very simple as use very little graphics and
sounds. What sound effects there are are normally very low-tech. :-)))
I'm a pretty low-tech kind of guy! :-)))

Best Regards,
	PEW
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

--
Proudly developing Quality Cross Platform Open Source Games
Since 1970 with a Commodore PET 4016 with 16 KRAM