[Lazarus] Package editor crash on "Add"

Torsten Bonde Christiansen tc at epidata.dk
Wed Sep 15 13:18:41 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 15 September 2010 12:42:58 Vincent Snijders wrote:
> By default Lazarus is a single threaded application. Only if a lazarus
> packages that uses threads is used, the IDE needs to include the
> cthreads unit. Such packages add -dUseCThreads in their usage options
> (Open package, Options -> Usage -> Add options to dependent packages
> and projects -> Custom).
>
> So, no, it is not always needed, until now, only if a third party
> package requires it. I would think twice about making this change.

Ok, I will check the OnIde handler solution you suggested in the other mail.
Then the dialog would appear immediately and the user would propably not
notice anything because he typically thinks for a second before clicking
anything, and during that time the scanning task is completed already.
Still, it is not an ideal solution. Sometimes an "experienced converter user"
would click a control quickly and then send a bug report about the dialog not
responding always.

I would understand this resistance against threads if there was a technical
reason for it. Threads in FPC/Lazarus are working well for me at least.
Is there some technical reason I don't know about?

The main trend in programming now is to encourage threading, not to ban it.
I am little puzzled...

Juha