[Lazarus] Threads in Lazarus code base

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 13:05:40 CEST 2010

On 15 September 2010 12:38, Juha Manninen (gmail) wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 September 2010 13:32:20 Michael Schnell wrote:
>>   Maybe you could start an external process for this ....
>
> ... and pass the data with temporary text files?
> Why would I do that? A thread is lighter, it can see the variables I already
> defined, it is easier to synchronize (WaitFor in this case)...
>
> What is wrong with threads?

Juha, I fully agree with you. I also can't believe Lazarus is single
threaded. I know of *many* areas where multiple threads could make
Lazarus a lot more "snappy"!

The questions should rather be "why must we not use threads"? With all
the the multi-core CPU's out there, and all the background tasks the
IDE could do - staying single thread is rather daft.

I use multiple threads all the time in our software. Yes it's an
"advanced" feature of the language, so you need to know what you are
doing. But I thought a IDE would qualify as an "advanced application"
- after all, it's slightly more code than a "hello world" app. :-)  I
would expect the developers that work on the IDE, to also be "advanced
developers" with a bit more know-how than newbies to the Object Pascal
language.

  - Graeme -