[Lazarus] Lazarus-support site, question about FPC version for Lazarus

Richard Saunders saunders.richard.p at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 18:07:53 CEST 2010

  On 9/16/2010 11:46 AM, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Richard Saunders
> <saunders.richard.p at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I don't think the process needs to be dumbed down to any idiot can do it.
>> Nor does it have to be a one-click process.
> This depends a lot on the platform.
>
> It already is extremely easy one-click process in Windows. And i've
> already had computer illiterate people install it and they had no
> trouble.

What depends on the platform? Whether a dumbed down process is
necessary? I don't believe that at all.

Yes, a good installer can do the essential part of the job efficiently.
Glad to hear that's been completed for Windows.

I'd like go beyond the mere installation and work toward a more
comprehensively gentle beginner's experience. My concept of "installing"
includes enough information to help someone get started using the stuff.
Including something like "OK, now AAA has been installed in BBB and
expects your files to be located in CCC. You can change this by going to
DDD and setting EEE."

Other basic questions should be answered as part of the process. Before
the installation is started the user should know how hard it will be to
uninstall and how reliable and complete that process is. Before the
installation goes very far the user should be told where the files will
be going, what rights are needed to perform the install, what happens if
the same or a prior version of the same software has already been fully
installed on the same machine, what happens if the same or prior
versions have been partially installed on the same machine, etc.

>> I'm a good tester. I've also given up twice in the past on setting up my
>> Laz/FPC work environment because I just could not figure out what was needed
>> or what was going on. So, please direct me what to try out.
> On which platform?

Huh? Which platform am I willing to test on, or which did I give up on
before?

I can test Windows XP or 7. I would also like to try the latest Linux
Ubuntu or CentOS. Perhaps after that I would have the courage to try
OS/X but the others I would do using VMs.

I have tried both Windows and Linux in the past.

--
Rich S.