[Lazarus] Threads in Lazarus code base

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Sep 17 11:08:14 CEST 2010

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 17 September 2010 10:43, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>> But the possible side effects were pointed out, and the consequences that
>> usage of threads has IN THE IDE. And the opinion was raised that if there is
>> a way to accomplishing the same task with our without using threads, then
>> "no threads" is preferred for the IDE.
>
> That's a bit unfair. Mattias already stated that he is planning some
> feature that will use multi-threading. So I really can't see why Juha
> can't implement his feature using multi-threading - especially if the
> implementation is simpler, produces better UI results and is simply
> more intuitive than idle timers and such.

Nobody said he cannot, but it would be setting a precedent with possibly
heavy consequences.

> MSEide, Delphi IDE, Visual Studio, MonoDevelop etc all use multiple
> threads in the IDE (it's common practice because the IDE is a perfect
> case for using threads - doing multiple tasks in the background while
> keeping the UI snappy). Why not Lazarus IDE?!? I really don't see what
> the fuss is about.

Well, the current implementation of the IDE is not thread safe.

And since the team has to do the maintenance of possible side-effects of
threads, they are cautious. That's all there is to it.

Let's not make the issue bigger than it actually is.

Michael.