[Lazarus] Threads in Lazarus code base

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 11:26:20 CEST 2010

On 17 September 2010 11:11, Florian Klaempfl wrote:

> This is your personal opinion. I don't consider it as sarcasm but as
> truth. The current models of threading are imo simple flawed and need
> major improvements, maybe even a new programming paradigmas to be usable
> in programs in a robust and readable way.

Well, what are you waiting for? You created the Free Pascal Compiler,
so create a new threading model. For the rest of us, we use what is
available. TThread might not be perfect, but it is what we have, and
has been working for tens of thousands of developers since Borland
introduced it. Threading [like Pointers] are... "use with care, or
stay away".

Juha's usage of multi-threading seems very clear and valid. The thread
[and his implemented feature] is self-contained [not talking to other
parts of the IDE], and the UI works is a safe manner with that
specific thread. I see no issue with what he proposed.

> Got list moderator?

Just following the rules that was made so clear to me. Off-topic
(non-contributing to the discussion) messages belong in fpc-other or
lazarus-other. Please respect the rules of the mailing list.

  - Graeme -