[Lazarus] Threads in Lazarus code base

Andrew Brunner andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 20:34:01 CEST 2010

I've been following this thread for a while and there has been much
talk about the obvious trials but I have yet to read anything
regarding the justification for the added overhead or the acceptance
of parallelization (for perhaps some text searching)?

There is definitely great interest in making FPC Lazarus faster which
I think will greatly enhance overall experience for developers.

Given the requirements and costs associated with complexities of
managing Lazarus the modules associated with parallelization will need
to be isolated as to not confuse any other group.

Merely adding the cthreads unit to Lazarus so we can have faster text
searching seems like a trivial task. However, the developers tasked
with integrating the improvements should really know the IDE inner
workings as to AVOID blowing out the trunked version.

I personally have had problems getting trivial changes to Lazarus to
propagate through the versions and would only offer an explanation
that core developers are looking to get incomplete road map items and
bugs resolved rather than accept code from people that are off on
their own just excited about bringing their own technologies to the
Lazarus community.

I have a feeling that all this discussion is for naught because even
if  you make the changes someone somewhere else will just simply not
accept them.  So, unless you SVN commit access and are interested in
performing any low-level architectural changes to Lazarus - don't
bother.  And if you are serious the best way to get involved is to be
tasked with an aspect of Lazarus development.

The time of dedicated Lazarus developers is extremely valuable and
limited.  It's nice to see ideas but Lazarus is a complicated system
and it still has much further to go.  It was only until recently did
we get Multi-document feature ;-)

Getting the FPC team to embrace OLAPish technique to establish unit
dependency hierarchy to parallelize FPC would be a better challenge
and benefit to us all :-)