[Lazarus] rewriting of LConvEncoding

merlin352 at globe.lu merlin352 at globe.lu
Mon Sep 20 22:37:17 CEST 2010

--- Ursprüngliche Nachricht ---
Von: Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>
An: lazarus at lists.lazarus.freepascal.org
Betreff: Re: [Lazarus] rewriting of LConvEncoding

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 20:51:20 +0200
> <merlin352 at globe.lu> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I had some issues with LConvEncoding as I wrote in bugtracker issue
> #0017212
> >
> > My mistake was essentially the meaning of character encoding
> "ANSI". Sorry for that.
> >
> > So I took a deeper view at this unit. It is far not complete
> concerning existing codepages and support for Unicode.
>
> It's goal is to convert the most common codepages and do the
> rest with the existing OS libraries (iconv).
>
> A complete conversion unit should be part of FPC.

I agree, but that should be decided by the core developers.

> > Further, the implementation with string-based encoding-descriptions
> is
> > not optimal regarding speed and the possibilty to extend the unit.
> The
> > encoding and decoding of asian-codepages is really suboptimal. (a
> fast
> > and dirty performance check showed that it is about 3000 times
> slower
> > than singlebyte codepages like ISO-8859-1)
>
> True.
> And the tables are quite big. Maybe the unit should be splitted into
> several units.

I think with the rigth datamodel the tables can be reduced a lot in size. But nevertheless, it may be a good idea for those who don't need the asiancodepages.

> > I would rewrite the entire unit, including most of the codepages
> from ftp.unicode.org, full support for UTF-8, UTF-16 and UTF-32,
> including LE and BE variants. And as a further utility, a conversion
> program for the mentioned codepagefiles, that will create a complete
> pascal include file with all the necessary tables and conversion
> functions.
>
> What do you mean with full support for UTF-8, UTF-16 and UTF-32?
>
> Mattias

I mean full conversion possibilities between old fashioned codepages and UTF, and between the different UTF-strings, always both directions.

I know that parts of this functionality is also in LCLProc, but it is also not complete.