[Lazarus] Delphi compatible XML lib

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Sep 26 18:27:06 CEST 2010

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010, Juha Manninen (gmail) wrote:

> On Sunday 26 September 2010 18:30:10 Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>> It should not be hard to create a Delphi-compatible layer on top of it,
>> but honestly: I don't see why you would want to do that...
>
> I am thinking how to improve the Delphi converter. Some projects fail in
> conversion only because they use XML and the library interface is different.

I think that this will prove to be a minor point in most real-world apps :)

> The converter could change the code directly or use some compatibility layer.
> The latter would even allow using the same source code for both Delphi and
> Lazarus.

But would be slower, plus then we create the expectation that the code
will behave 100% as the delphi code, which is definitely never going to
be the case, because the error exceptions and whatnot are different.

So I think it's better to change the code directly as much as possible,
and point out to the user the discrepancies and let him handle them.

Michael.