[Lazarus] Using Lazarus on Embedded Linux?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Sep 27 15:45:34 CEST 2010

Henry Vermaak wrote:

>>> The only delay I can see (after fsync) would be due to the hardware
>>> cache of the disk in use (or a defective drive). On linux you can call
>>> hdparm to flush on-disk caches.
>>
>> But is hdparm fully supported by external Flash cards, and does it
>> return before or after data is guaranteed to be filly committed?
>
> This is a red herring (sorry, my mistake).  Compact flash cards (and
> other removable media) are block devices, they have firmware that do
> this flash to block emulation.  I realise now that Michael meant that
> some cf cards have crappy firmware that can't handle power cuts.  There
> isn't much you can do about that, but choose a good cf card or usb stick.

But there are several different interfaces to Flash storage technology,
CompactFlash (i.e. PCMCIA -> IDE/ATA) is only one of them. Different
considerations probably apply to other MTD devices (in particular SD and
its derivatives), which might make them either more or less vulnerable
to abuse.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk