[Lazarus] Posting to the list via the Gmane news gateway???

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Tue Sep 28 01:39:55 CEST 2010

On 9/27/2010 15:08, Bo Berglund wrote:

>>> But it means having to activate the mail delivery option in the list
>>> and thereby getting
>>> a *lot* of messages into the regular inbox...
>>
>> doesn't your mail reader have filtering capabilities so you can toss those
>> messages into dedicated folders for them? my thunderbird sure does and all mail
>> is placed into special folders for reading... my folder for this area is under a
>> top level "programing" folder, a "pascal" folder and then a "lazarus" folder...
>> offlist private messages are handled similarly...
>>
>>     programing/pascal/lazarus
>>     programing/pascal/lazarus/offlist
>>
>> other emails, plain and lists related, are stored in similar fashion... it keeps
>> the inbox uncluttered except for things that have not yet had filters written
>> for them... some of those never will but still...
>>
>> the point is, learn your software and how to use it then put it to work /for/
>> you instead of it making you work ;)
>>

> Yes, I am using Outlook 2003 and it has these capabilities for sure.
> In fact I have set it up to stuff away the messages, but there are
> just too many of them anyway.
> And there is no real overview available like what one gets with a
> newsreader like Agent. Threaded by topic and indented by sequence,
> try doing tha with Outlook...

that's why i don't use lookout for /ANY/thing :P there are much better apps for
news and email ;)

> I have used this mail client (or its predecessors) since about 1997 or
> so and I have a lot of messages saved that are work related.

i can understand that... my archives go back to about 1995 or so... and that's
not counting all the stuff i have archived from my UUCICO days before the
"internet" came along :P

> But I do not want to expand it into being a repository for the mail
> lists too when we have news mirrors like GMANE available.

understood... i just don't understand using a news feed for mailing lists, i
guess...

> Finally, the problems are coming from a misconfiguration on the GMANE
> server itself as was discovered by Vincent Snijders, so I hope that
> the GMANE maintainer will fix the problem after he has read my report
> to him.

yes, i saw that later... i hope that my post was not taken in a bad light but i
do have my asbestos panties on if anyone feels like aiming their flame thrower
in my direction instead of at /dev/nul ;)