[Lazarus] Using Lazarus on Embedded Linux?

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 11:01:31 CEST 2010

On 28/09/10 09:18, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Michael Schnell wrote:
>> On 09/27/2010 03:45 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>>
>>> But there are several different interfaces to Flash storage
>>> technology, CompactFlash (i.e. PCMCIA -> IDE/ATA) is only one of
>>> them. Different considerations probably apply to other MTD devices
>>> (in particular SD and its derivatives), which might make them either
>>> more or less vulnerable to abuse.
>>>
>> The problem is not related with the interface. it's completely
>> internally within the card.
>
> I wonder if I could have a reality check here. The thing that's
> bothering me is that, for example, a CompactFlash card looks like an
> IDE/ATA disc hence must have internal firmware handling wear levelling.
> Similarly, an MMC card with a matched host controller looks like a
> storage device so presumably the same applies.
>
> But what is the situation with an MMC card in isolation, being driven by
> bit-banging or by code in e.g. a BASIC Stamp using SPI? Do these still
> look like discs?

For a device to be called MMC, it has to follow the MMC protocol, which
hides the flash from the user and looks like a block device by
definition.  Basically, if it's not a raw flash chip, it's going to have
some translation layer.  How well this translation layer treats the
flash will probably depend on the vendor of the card.

Henry