[Lazarus] Serial communication??

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Sep 30 13:00:36 CEST 2010

  On 09/30/2010 11:25 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>  what we need is a simple, general-purpose library which can then be
> built on for either single- or multi-threaded programs, using either
> polling or event handling.
Maybe 5dpo can be enhanced to meet this requirement. Maybe this is
easier than porting parts of AsyncPro.

I did only take a very small look at 5dpo. It might be done to provide
an internally multi-threaded unit that features a main-thread-event
interface. This is by far the most challenging issue, as it needs an
implementation of a fast thread-safe FIFO for the serial (receive) data
and a portable implementation for firing asynchronous queued main thread
events from threads.

Calling synchronous events right within the (receive) thread for
"advanced" server-type applications is a nice to have and easy to do add-on.

-Michael