[Lazarus] Lazarus config woes

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Apr 2 18:53:18 CEST 2011

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 16:17:25 +0200
Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:

> Mattias Gaertner schrieb:
>
> >> Where can I find the documentation for the templates?
> >
> > There is not much to know:
> > The secondary have obviously the same format as the primary configs.
> > The values depends on version. They are human readable xml and you
> > should not edit them manually. Use the IDE to create/edit them.
>
> Sorry, there remains much more to know :-(
>
> Why, or in how far, do template values depend on a version?

There is only one value per key. No version.

> It's obvious that the *amount* of entries can differ, but what about
> installation specific entries (pathes...)?

For example the debian package puts configs into /etc/lazarus to setup
Lazarus directory, compile file name, make path, gdb and help files.

> How can the IDE be used to create or edit templates?
> (so that nothing but the template is affected)

Just copy a config to the scp and strip all values from the xml you
don't need.

> Which macros can be used in a template? (absolute path issue)

The same as in the config files. See
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/IDE_Macros_in_paths_and_filenames#Paths_and_Parts

> Which macros will be retained, when a config is created from a template?
>
> What has to be done after using the IDE for template editing?
> (Most probably the IDE should be closed, at least. Anything else?)

Quit IDE, delete your configs (primary), start IDE.

>[...]
> > I already gave the debugging example.
>
> Cannot find it - can you provide a link or explain again?

You can use one Lazarus to debug another.

> > Another is to have a second copy
> > with a patched version, but using the normal lazbuild.
>
> Lazbuild is documented as a command-line tool, so that I don't see how
> the IDE is involved?

It uses the same configs as the IDE.

Mattias