[Lazarus] Lazarus config woes

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sun Apr 3 11:57:48 CEST 2011

Mattias Gaertner schrieb:

>>> Yes, that's what I meant with used as template.
>> Okay, that explains a lot :-)
>>
>> Remains to mention that the "template" term has to be explained to the
>> user. Normally a template is used to create *different* versions
>> (installations) from it, but Lazarus - by default - does it the opposite
>> way: templates are taken from an *installation*, and the result is put
>> into a *common* place.
>
> It seems to me you misunderstood.
> It is taken from the installation (e.g. under Linux the scp
> is /etc/lazarus). The Windows installer puts the files into the Lazarus
> directory, which can be a system wide directory, not writable for the
> user.
> And put into a user specific place. Under Linux this is ~/.lazarus,
> under Windows it is GetAppConfigDir(False).

Exactly as I wrote: a new installation copies its config files
(templates) from the Lazarus directory into the common config directory.

I accept the argument, that the Lazarus directory may be write
protected, so that the new config may have to be stored in user-land.
And I accept that typical installs of new versions, of the same
application, should update the common application config.

But this IMO is what an *installer* should do, the IDE itself should
behave differently, to better support *multiple* installations. In fact
the Windows installer creates a rudimentary environmentoptions.xml, that
only contains the absolute references to the applications (fpc, make)
that come with the installation. The behaviour on Linux may be
different, AFAIK Linux installations don't include their own FPC and tools.

We still seem to differ in the meaning of "template". You mean
installation-specific settings, like the pathes to the tools that came
with a new installation. Instead I mean all the other settings, which
the user has used before (e.g. language, window positions...).

Unfortunately both sets of settings are stored in the same file,
environmentoptions.xml, so that *all* user-specific settings in that
file are lost, when a new config is created by the IDE in the given -pcp :-(

>> This behaviour makes sense only because -pcp overwrites the *common*
>> place, so that effectively *no* place exists where common
>> (installation-independent) templates or settings can be stored :-(
>
> Your information is outdated.

No, my tests are based on both 0.9.30 release and trunk.

> Please take a look at ide/include/win/lazbaseconf.inc. You can see that
> only for fpc 2.2.0 the scp was the same as the pcp.

You better test the real behaviour of the IDE, as I did. Then you may
understand better what I wrote.

>> [...]
>>> If you want that you can set pcp and scp to the same directory.
>> That's not a solution of the problem, because then still no place
>> exists, where defaults could be stored - they are overwritten when
>> pcp=scp :-(
>
> I can't follow you here. Maybe you are talking about a different kind of
> "defaults"? The purpose of the scp is to provide defaults for the first
> start of the IDE.

See above. The current contents of a "template" are the
*installation-specific* pathes, that apply to a concrete installation.
In so far it makes sense to copy *these* values from the scp, i.e. from
the Lazarus directory. But then we should have another kind of
templates, that contain all the remaining settings, AKA *user preferences*.

Perhaps you'll better understand my point when you try to configure a
new SVN checkout, based on the current user-specific settings. How can
this be accomplished?

In a more perfect world we would have:
- user config path (ucp, my templates, default: common config place)
- installation config path (scp, your templates, default: LazDir)
- primary config path (pcp, as is, default: [SVN] working copy)

DoDi