[Lazarus] Lazarus GTK project dependencies

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Thu Apr 14 09:56:47 CEST 2011

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 09:47:57 +0200 (CEST)
michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, zeljko wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 14 of April 2011 09:33:03 Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> due to some other topic discussed on the mailing list, I thought I'd check
> >> the dependencies of a simple lazarus project. The result is shown below.
> >>
> >> I did this similar exercise a year or two ago, and the result has more than
> >> tripled !
> >>
> >> I wonder, why all these dependencies ??
> >> I mean, libselinux, libcairo, libexpat, libdirectfb, libfusion, libdirect
> >> (to name but a few), why do I need those ?
> >
> > You don't but gtk does (or cairo or some xlib).
>
> Hm. I did a quick check:
>
> fsb: >ldd /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 | wc -l
> 44
> fsb: >ldd /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.8 | wc -l
> 31
> So Qt needs 31 libs, GTK uses 44. Many of the extra ones related to direct framebuffer
> access, which is total nonsense in a X environment.

The gnome projects likes to split libs in smaller modules.
The number of libs is not that important. The size is more important:

A gtk2 program:
ldd testgtk2 | cut -d' ' -f 3 | grep lib | xargs cat | wc -c
14932491

A qt program:
ldd testqt | cut -d' ' -f 3 | grep lib | xargs cat | wc -c
53583219

So Qt uses about 50MB, GTK uses 15MB.

> Well, this reminds me why I use KDE and not Gnome.
>
> How complete/stable is the Qt version of the LCL, and what version of Qt is needed ?

It is quite stable. It works well under KDE, not so well under Gnome.
But this is not the fault of the LCL qt interface, but of QT.

Mattias