[Lazarus] Lazarus GTK project dependencies

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Thu Apr 14 11:53:44 CEST 2011

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> > fsb: >ldd /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.8 | cut -d' ' -f 3 | xargs cat | wc -c
> > 7172681
> The libqt-mt library is only one lib of a qt program.

Yes. My bad, see my answer to Felipe. :/

> > 7 vs. 9 Mb. Just for the Qt/Gtk library.
> Please compare whole programs.

Since I don't have the needed Qt libs, that will be hard. Please disregard
my timings.

> > And that only size matters is not quite correct: for each library the number
> > of symbols in the libraries must be resolved.
> > The more libraries must be resolved, the more work there is for the linker.
> Since you gave no proof for this statement, I will answer with another
> unproven:
> The bigger a library the more code, the more symbols must be resolved.

It's not my statement. It's someone else's. see e.g.

http://lwn.net/Articles/192624/

and

http://keycorner.org/pub/text/doc/kde-slow.txt

I assume they knew what they were talking about.

Michael.