[Lazarus] reverse engineering tool wanted

Juha (gmail) juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 08:58:14 CEST 2011

Graeme Geldenhuys kirjoitti tiistai, 19. huhtikuuta 2011 09:30:57:
> Also there is ESS-Model: http://essmodel.sourceforge.net/

Don't waste your time with ESS-Model. I tried to convert it, partly as a
Delphi conversion exercise. I never got it near working.

It uses a complex delegated interface system to pass events. It is not fully
supported by FPC.
All drawing objects are TWinControls. It uses some tricks to access protected
methods of those TWinControls.
In fact it doesn't work with new Delphis either because of Delphi's changes in
interface delegation.

I think it proves how difficult it is to make good quality code. ESS-Model has
many smart ideas and sophisticated design, yet it depends on component
internals and exotic compiler features and so breaks very easily.
The Sourceforge project has not seen any activity for years and it is easy to
see why!

Still, we would need a reverse engineering class diagram tool integrated in
Lazarus. It would use some advanced algorithm for automatic layouting.

Juha