[Lazarus] Fwd: AV exception error on "lower1 := left" (integer variable assignment)... Can anyone explain this???

Peter E Williams pewtas at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 00:59:17 CEST 2011

Hi All,

I am having a problem with a strange run-time AV error. See the link to the
Lazarus project.

Download link:
http://hotfile.com/dl/115480488/6b7a8ed/dtm_maker_001.zip.html

The problem is in the QSort procedure:

Procedure QSort( Var island_single_array : island_single_type;
  left, right : integer);
  Var
    d       : island_single_type;
    pivot,
    lower1,
    upper1 :integer;

  begin
    lower1 := left;
// ^^^^^^ AV run-time exception on above line.
    upper1 := right;
    pivot := island_single_array[left].location_number;
    While (left < right) do
    Begin
      Case SortType of
        ascending : begin
                      While (island_single_array[right].location_number >=
pivot) and (left < right) do
                        dec(right);
                      if (left <> right) then
                      begin

 swap(island_single_array[left],island_single_array[right]);
                        inc(left);
                      end;
                     While (island_single_array[left].location_number <=
pivot) and (left < right) do
                       inc(left);
                      if (left <> right) then
                      begin

 swap(island_single_array[left],island_single_array[right]);
                        dec(right);
                      end;
                   end;
       end; // case
    end; // while
    pivot := island_single_array[left].location_number;
    left := lower1;
    right := upper1;
    if left < pivot then
      QSort(island_single_array,left,pivot-1);
    if right > pivot then
      QSort(island_single_array,pivot+1,right);
  end;  { QSort }
{--------------------------------------------------------------------}

procedure QuickSort( Var island_single_array : island_single_type;
  Size : integer);
begin
  QSort( island_single_array, 1, Size );
end;
{--------------------------------------------------------------------}

The AV exception error occurs after the project is run then the user selects
File / Save and the QuickSort procedure is called which then calls Qsort.
 The error is occurring on:

    lower1 := left;

which are both integers. Lower1 (which was renamed just in case of a name
conflict with the 'lower' string function) is ??? (unassigned) and left is
1. I see no problem with this statement and it is a mystery to me why I am
getting an AV exception error.

Maybe someone here with better debugging skills can tell me why is this
happening and how to fix it.

Best Regards,
Peter / pew