[Lazarus] BringToFront with forms

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Apr 25 15:23:38 CEST 2011

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:10:55 +0200
Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:

> TCustomForm.Show automatically calls BringToFront, what may be okay in
> most cases, but...
>
> 1) The IDE passes around an explicit BringToFront:boolean with many
> methods - why?

Show, or show and focus.
For example when compiling the "messages" window should be shown, but it
does not need focus, nor does it need to be on top layer.

> 2) What about parented or docked forms? Is this already handled, or do
> we need another method ShowClient to (also) make an docked client
> visible, when e.g. docked into a notebook? Do we need to call
> ScrollIntoView explicitly, when residing in a scrollable container?

When BringToFront is true the form should be focused. So the
IDEDockMaster should move the form to the front (recursively if docked).
I'm not sure about scrolling. I guess it would be nice.

Mattias