[Lazarus] reading FORTRAN-style input in Lazarus

David M. Lawrence dave at fuzzo.com
Fri Aug 5 06:06:56 CEST 2011

I've held on to FORTRAN because of its ability to explicitly define
input (and output) formats -- this is a must for extracting data from a
number of publicly available datasets.

I'm now trying to convert one of my most useful programs to PASCAL, but
I am hung up on how to read multiple variables from a single line.

For example, here's a FORTRAN format I need to emulate:

FORMAT(I3,I7,2X,A25,1X,F6.2,1X,F7.2,3(1X,I4),1X,F4.1,1X,I1)

On a single line, I begin with two integer variables, skip two spaces,
one string variable, one space followed by a real variable, skip a
space, etc.

I know of examples that involve treating each line as a character array,
but I cannot find them now.  I also know how to specify write formats,
but have seen no examples of applying that to reading lines.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Dave

  David M. Lawrence        | Home:  (804) 559-9786
  7471 Brook Way Court     | Fax:   (804) 559-9787
  Mechanicsville, VA 23111 | Email: dave at fuzzo.com
  USA                      | http:  http://fuzzo.com

"All drains lead to the ocean."  -- Gill, Finding Nemo

"We have met the enemy and he is us."  -- Pogo

"No trespassing
  4/17 of a haiku"  --  Richard Brautigan