[Lazarus] TAChart: reticule reimplemented, questions on deprecation

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 12:57:21 CEST 2011

Last year, there were several discussions both on this list and the forum about
deficiences of reticule implementation.
As of r31973, I have implemented a new TDataPointCrosshairTool, which:
1) Does not require extra properties neither in chart nor in series
2) Should work on Qt and MacOS
3) Allows arbitrary pen for drawing (at the cost of slowdown)
4) Is less confusingly named ;-)

So I have few requests for interested parties:
1) Please test on Linux/Qt and MacOS -- I have tested Windows/Qt only
2) Should I remove TReticuleTool together with all reticule-related
properties now,
  or wait for another release? Note that built-in properties
  (ReticulePos, ReticuleMode, UseReticule, OnDrawReticule) were
already deprecated
  in 0.9.30: http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_0.9.30_release_notes#TAChart
3) Is the new name really better? If I remove old TReticuleTool,
should I rename TDataPointCrosshair tool to TReticuleTool?
The old name was invented by original TAChart developer, who is probably French.
I actually like the name, but many users expressed confusion as to the
meaning of the word "reticule".

--
Alexander S. Klenin