[Lazarus] first try at compiling complains about creating tchart object file, second try works

Seth Grover sethdgrover at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 18:19:20 CEST 2011

Greetings!

I've got a little bit of a frustrating annoyance I'm hoping someone
can help me resolve.

I've got Lazarus built from source and installed under
"/usr/share/lazarus/0.9.30" on an Ubuntu 10.10 box. I obviously
installed it as root, and rebuilt the IDE and packages as root as well
so they would be found correctly under the components. I can run
Lazarus just fine as a non-root user.

However, when I do the following steps:

1. Create a new lazarus application
2. Drop a TChart onto my form
3. Hit Ctrl+F9 to build

I get the following error:

tachartutils.pas(1171,1) Error: Can't create object file:
/usr/share/lazarus/0.9.30/components/tachart/lib/x86_64-linux/gtk2/tachartutils.o

Well, of course it can't create that file: I'm running as a non-root
user who doesn't have write privileges under /usr/share. But what's
even stranger is why it thinks it needs to create that file, as I can
check and see that it already exists and has existed since I installed
Lazarus.

If I simply hit Ctrl+F9 again, the project builds successfully. But
that first time for some reason it thinks it needs to create that file
when it cannot and should not.

I get the same experience whether I build from the IDE or using lazbuild.

This appears to me to be a bug. I'd like your opinions, and if you
agree I'll log an issue in Mantis.

Thanks,

-SG

--
This email is fiction. Any resemblance to actual events
or persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Seth Grover