[Lazarus] TTabControl (d)evolution

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 09:02:50 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 2:52 AM, Hans-Peter Diettrich
<DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:
> After all the compatibility discussions I have the strong impression, that
> Delphi compatibility should be reconsidered. It's easy to provide fully
> compatible components for the Win32 platform, so why do we offer a very
> different implementation of the TTabControl, that can not be Delphi
> compatible by design???

This was already discussed multiple times, and there are always 3 answers:

1> First of all, it won't happen

2> Just because implementing a control X in platform Y is not easy, it
doesn't mean it is impossible. And if that is the only reason to drop
Delphi compatibility, then it's not good enough. I'm quite sure much
harder controls were already implemented using native widgets then
TTabControl...

3> If the native control really cannot do it, we can always custom
draw it in one of the following ways:
* only in the problematic platform
* or everywhere (unpopular, but that's how TTabControl currently works)

It the case of TTabControl one idea is custom drawing the entire
control, with themes it looks native, and that's how it already works
now. Finishing the current TTabControl would probably be easier to do
then finishing your new implementation.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho