[Lazarus] Determining OS

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 12:16:15 CEST 2011

On 08/01/2011 11:58 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> Solaris (8 and 10) have neither lsb_release nor xdg-open as standard.
> Same probably applies to BSD.

:-) That doesn't come as a surprise considering that they are "Linux"
Standards Base.

> xdg-open in the past, on the assumption that since it had appeared in
> some distreax and versions it would fairly rapidly be adopted by all.
> Mea culpa.

+1
I can't believe that distros in today's time still make it so hard for
ISV's to write common (as in distro) desktop applications. Clearly Linux
based system just don't want to compete with the likes of Mac OSX and
Windows. Maybe we should all jump ship to Haiku.

> Can somebody confirm this for Ubuntu? Are there comparable files for
> other distreax?

Both my Ubuntu 8.04.4 and Ubuntu 10.04.3 systems have the lsb_release
and the xdg-open commands available. So I guess that's +1 to Canonical
for at least trying to be helpful!

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/