[Lazarus] 'with' is evil, isn't it?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 15:29:34 CEST 2011

On 08/03/2011 03:20 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>> A simple solution to something which I don't think is a problem either.
>> [I fully agree with Michael van Canneyt here]
>
> I agree the above is indeed an acceptable solution.
>
> But I do think it is a corner case, because it goes against pascal philosophy
> which says that all identifiers must be declared prior to being used.

OK, I see how my message could have been misleading. :)

I meant I agreed with your statement that 'with' is not really a
problem, so why look for a solution. If you don't feel comfortable with
it, don't use it.

I do NOT agree that we should introduce the alias variable as Alexander
suggested. As you mentioned, it is done in 'on E: Exception do', but it
does indeed go against the normal language rules of Object Pascal. We
should not promote more Borland "hacks" like that.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/