[Lazarus] The right way of installing FPC to use with Lazarus?

Fr0sT fr0st.brutal at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 09:34:33 CEST 2011

Well, I've done all the steps. Marcos, thanks for the patience.
1. I think "pause" clauses should be added to the end of the bat scripts
provided in Wiki in order to see if something wrong happened.
2. As I expected, LibGDB absence made FPC units to compile without it. Am I
right guessing this means I couldn't step into these units while debugging
(something like turning "use debug DCU's" off in Delphi)? Seems that FPC IDE
will lack debug capability at all ("LibGDB was not found, IDE has no
Debugger support") but who cares...
3. fpc.cfg chapter in the Wiki, I think the first incorrect example should
be removed leaving only the right one. Now it causes a confusion.
4. Concerning source folders: sorry, my fault. The structure of previously
installed FPC (only \bin, \doc, \examples, \msg, \source, \units and that's
all) confused me. Of course one may set "source dir" option to FPC dir
itself.
5. When I launched freshly built Lazarus first time and tried to debug a
trivial app with breakpoint, I got AV. Rebuilding Lazarus from itself with
profile "IDE with optimization" solved the problem.

Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> That's why the preferred way of a (first) install is the complete
> Lazarus install. Later on the installed FPC can be used to install
> further copies (make install ...).
>
> Since many (GNU/MinGW) tools are not built by FPC, it's up to you to
> retrieve or create these binaries.

Ahh, I got it. Thanks!