[Lazarus] The right way of installing FPC to use with Lazarus?

Marcos Douglas md at delfire.net
Thu Aug 4 13:24:08 CEST 2011

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 4:34 AM, Fr0sT <fr0st.brutal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I've done all the steps. Marcos, thanks for the patience.

Don't worry, I help will you as they did with me too.

> 1. I think "pause" clauses should be added to the end of the bat scripts
> provided in Wiki in order to see if something wrong happened.

Before run scripts, you must to enter in command line. ;-)

> 2. As I expected, LibGDB absence made FPC units to compile without it. Am I
> right guessing this means I couldn't step into these units while debugging
> (something like turning "use debug DCU's" off in Delphi)? Seems that FPC IDE
> will lack debug capability at all ("LibGDB was not found, IDE has no
> Debugger support") but who cares...

What do you talk about? Forget this... you did not install the FPC yet.

> 3. fpc.cfg chapter in the Wiki, I think the first incorrect example should
> be removed leaving only the right one. Now it causes a confusion.

Somebody added this instructions after. I suggest create the fpc.cfg
file manually (copy and paste from wiki).

> 4. Concerning source folders: sorry, my fault. The structure of previously
> installed FPC (only \bin, \doc, \examples, \msg, \source, \units and that's
> all) confused me. Of course one may set "source dir" option to FPC dir
> itself.

Sorry. Because another thread in fpc-devel list, I knew I had an error
in script to compile FPC. However I changed FPC and Lazarus scripts.
Can you test again, please?
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus#Compiling.2Finstalling_FPC_and_Lazarus_from_Sources_of_SVN_.28Win32.29

> 5. When I launched freshly built Lazarus first time and tried to debug a
> trivial app with breakpoint, I got AV. Rebuilding Lazarus from itself with
> profile "IDE with optimization" solved the problem.

So, did you installed the Lazarus and FPC?!

Marcos Douglas