[Lazarus] TTabControl (d)evolution

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 13:48:11 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich
<DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:
> Make the dummy page the one and only page for unpaged tab controls, usable
> as the client area of the TTabControl.

It is not clear about which dummy page you are talking about, but I
don't see this working.

> I still don't understand the need and purpose of all that.

I am getting tired of this endless discussion. I was expecting that
you would provide patches for this, but if you just want to talk
endlessly about the problem, then we are loosing time here. I don't
use TTabControl, so I am not that interrested in doing all the work
alone. You provided something like 5% of an implementation which works
only in win32 and breaks the code of other people using TTabControl.
That's not nearly enough, is it?

I already provided a simple working solution for you to finish TNewTabControl:

1> Override the handle and create a TCustomControl handle
2> Put a TPageControl in the bottom of the control, redirect all
methods to work on it
3> Make sure it is compatible with the current TTabControl

If you want to work on that implementation, I can help, if not, this
discussion is useless.

There are other alternative implementations, for example implementing
a new separate widgetset implementation for TTabControl, but it is
much, much larger, and from what I already understood patches won't
apear for that, so the only viable solution is the one described
above.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho