[Lazarus] OT: Delphi XE2 uses FPC, plus VCL just not portable

Dimitri Smits smitco at telenet.be
Mon Aug 8 17:06:23 CEST 2011

----- "Graeme Geldenhuys" <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> schreef:

> > I strongly suspect that the "center of the world" directly depends
> on
> > the country which produced the map.
>
> I can't say I have ever seen that. I just did a Google Images search
> for
> "World Map", and 99.99% of the world maps showed Africa in the
> middle.
> But yes, I did see one or two out of the 63 million Google results
> showing Australia or America in the center, but that is clearly a
> very
> small minority. ;-)

and if you can google it, then it MUST be true :-)

like I said in my original post: the *convention* is to have the horizontal centre at the GMT/Greenwitch 0 meridian. ("the brittish seem to have won that one"), but that does not rule out "other views" of a "world map".

but that doesn't take away that other peoples ("volkeren") have or have had a more self-centered (or of their oppressors') view on the world. (same with the London/GMT version, only that one made it).

As a nice example of "we are the world": startup your browser and head to http://maps.google.com => USA is the landing spot (regardless of the fact that you are browsing in from China, Germany, UK, USA, Brasil, Zuid-Afrika, Trinidat/Tobago or the moon). :-)

kind regards,
Dimitri Smits