[Lazarus] Error in synedit from new SVN revision in Lazarus (31941)

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Aug 11 17:32:23 CEST 2011

Vincent Snijders schrieb:

> What fpc version do you use? I am aware of some issues using fpc
> 2.7.1, because of
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_Trunk#Anonymous_inherited_calls

Can you explain what this really means?

I don't understand "anonymous", "call through", and the example :-(

IMO a compiler should reject ambigous overloaded procedures, i.e. when
the significant parameters only differ in type size.

I understand that there was a problem, when files larger than 4GB
occured in Windows, so that TStream.Size and .Position had to be updated
from LongInt to Int64. The choice of LongInt already was a questionable
decision, because it would restrict the file size to 2GB. When the
Delphi solution requires overloaded methods, i.e. in TStream:
     procedure SetSize(NewSize: Longint); virtual;overload;
     procedure SetSize(const NewSize: Int64); virtual;overload;
we are in trouble, since it's up to the compiler to choose one of these
methods - based on what criteria? :-(

DoDi