[Lazarus] Console App Development

Alexsander Rosa alexsander.rosa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 22:03:40 CEST 2011

A standard GUI app would require the (dozens of) warehouse operators to use
the "stylus" heavily. Today they use it only to start the PUTTY app (that
opens a saved SSH session) and yet they manage to often damage the screen
(!). Also, with a console app that runs via SSH we can easily run it from
desktop PC (no need to recompile, just open the SSH). Some processes do not
require high mobility and a PC + barcode scanner is way cheaper than MC-3090
handhelds.

We run it in 40x17 mode in the 3-inch small screens. The operators usually
type 2-digit numbers in the menu to access the features. They call them
"screens", like "run screen 52 for branch 17". After that they usually
walk/drive around the warehouse, read barcodes and move boxes. Here's a
screenshot:

2011/8/11 Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho <felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com>

> I find the choice of going for a console app quite curious. Wouldn't
> it be easier to write a standard GUI app using the LCL?
>
> --
> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

--
Atenciosamente,