[Lazarus] Console App Development

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 11:30:41 CEST 2011

On 08/12/2011 11:16 AM, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:

> So I can only conclude that 150 MB of RAM is not nearly a big deal =D
> It could even fit on my phone!

The test project I used as an example is a new (and small project) we
started recently, and already Lazarus uses such a lot of memory. Loading
some of our much larger projects, the memory usage jumps considerably.

Irrespective of what device or hardware you have, it doesn't explain
away why Lazarus is such a memory hog compared to the same project
loaded in MSEide.

In both IDE's I used fpGUI based projects, so that cuts out a lot of the
IDE's built in GUI designer, Object Inspector etc... So I feel my
comparison is not unreasonable - I used the same features in both IDE's.
If Lazarus doesn't watch out, it will soon become yet another bloated
software product. Maybe it's time some "new features" get put on hold,
and some optimizations are implemented instead. This is a normal process
of any software development team. Maybe just the thing required for that
looming 1.0 release. Just a thought. If MSEide can be light on memory,
very fast and still have plenty of features, it should be possible with
Lazarus too.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/