[Lazarus] Console App Development

Flávio Etrusco flavio.etrusco at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 11:31:21 CEST 2011

>> i'm still rather appalled that lazarus takes 75Meg on one machine and 125Meg on
>> another for a debug environment... i'm not sure about the size difference since
>
> (...)
>
> On the flip side, there are some software that still perform very well
> today. eg: One of my projects loaded in Lazarus takes up about 100-150MB
> of memory. That same project loaded in MSEide takes up 9-15MB of
> memory!!! In each case the project is loaded, a complete recompile of
> the project is done, and a debug session (project run from inside the
> ide to activate debugging) has been done. How do you account for that
> difference in memory usage? MSEide is doing something right.

You're doing something wrong ;-)  (ok, I know it was an exaggeration)
While debugging another Lazarus instance, the host Lazarus has 62MB VM
(56MB RSS), with a dozen open files and some forms.
And I wouldn't be surprised if more than half of it is occupied by
CodeTools tree.
gdb unfortunately takes 136MB.

> Lets just hope and pray that Lazarus doesn't one day get the
> "performance" of Eclipse IDE. That is probably the slowest and most
> memory hungry IDE I have every come across. :-/

Netbeans and JBuilder don't fare much better...

Best regards,
Flávio