[Lazarus] RE : Console App Development

Ludo Brands ludo.brands at free.fr
Sat Aug 13 09:23:32 CEST 2011

> as for apples and bananas:
>
> gvim does only open about 10 tabs !!!! not one tab per file.
> At least my
> installation. I can not open more tabs, or access any other
> than the 10
> tabs. I can from the buffer menu change the content of each tab, but
> that's still only 10 tabs.

That obviously explains the bulk of the time difference. However, I think
this is something we can learn from. Does lazarus have to load (+ highlight
+ ...) the files that are in tabs that are not even on the screen? Why not
fe. load in the editor only the files in tabs initially visible (after
startup/load project) and the others when tab actually opened (not when
scrolling the tabs, but when selecting a tab). Similarly, unchanged files in
editor tabs not opened since, say an hour, could be unloaded from the editor
and free up some memory. In practice, on low memory system, these pages are
already swapped to disk. A "find in open files" will have to open them all,
obviously, but that could be threated as a variant of "find in directory"
which doesn't load them in the editor.

Ludo