[Lazarus] Console App Development

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 12:05:31 CEST 2011

On 12 August 2011 18:40, Martin <lazarus at mfriebe.de> wrote:

> gvim does only open about 10 tabs !!!! not one tab per file. At least my
> installation. I can not open more tabs, or access any other than the 10
> tabs. I can from the buffer menu change the content of each tab, but that's
> still only 10 tabs.

You have to set tabpagemax (i set mine to 500 for the test).

> gvim (i just installed) does not have horizontal scrollbar, and if it wraps
> line it does not update the vertical scrollbar (maybe by design, but that's
> a terrible design, though one that saves a lot of time, hence good for the
> benchmark.....)

Of course there is a setting for this, too (wrap).

> the highlighting appears to be erroneous and far less complete
> "public" in a class is highlighted, "protected" is not
> "deprecated" is not hl.
> I was unable to find out, if ANY hl is context sensitive at all; but for
> example "nested comments" are not correctly highlighted.
> Overall it appears that it is a simple "word based" highlighting, versus a
> content sensitive highlighing in Lazarus (apples and bananas)

You have to make sure that you've set the highlighting for delphi or
fpc.  In either case, the highlighting is trivial.  If you're taking
ten times longer to open the file, then you're doing it wrong.

It's quite funny that you're trying to prove that lazarus is somehow
more powerful than vim.  It's the opposite way around.  But that's not
what I'm here to discuss.  My point was that a really powerful editor
is taking orders of a magnitude less time to open files than lazarus,
so there is much scope for improvement.

Henry