[Lazarus] RE : RE : RE : Console App Development

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Aug 15 20:50:11 CEST 2011

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:29:27 +0100
Martin <lazarus at mfriebe.de> wrote:

>[...]
> It's a dream of mine to optimize that. eg. to have synedit allocate a
> bigger chunk, and have synedit use it knowlege about lifetime of data,
> to organize it better.  But there is just to much other important work...

Indeed.
But small chunks have a high chance of reuse. That's why
most mem managers have special optimizations for them and that's why
many small chunks can actually be a good thing.
I did some experiments with codetools allocating bigger chunks. In
artificial tests it helped but in normal context it decreased
performance. The mem fragmentation was worse than the gain of cache
locality.

Mattias