[Lazarus] Using Laz 32bits to compile 64bits

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Aug 19 22:25:36 CEST 2011

Marcos Douglas schrieb:

> My questions are:
> 1. I can use Lazarus 32bits in a machine 64bits but compile a program to 64bits?
> 2. The make, to compile FPC, knows about if the machine is 64bits or I
> have to type a parameter?

I encountered many problems, in compiling 64 bit applications on a 64
bit Windows. One problem is the bad guess of fpc.exe, to build for 32
bit by default. More problems result from the tools in the fpc/bin
directory, whose 32 and 64 bit versions have the same name. This
discourages to have the fpc/bin directory in the PATH, in contrast to
the default FPC/Lazarus installation. Finally the debugger seems to have
problems with 32 and 64 bit applications (this may have changed in the
meantime).

For building FPC I replace the PATH entirely by the appropriate fpc/bin
directory, which contains all required tools (what is not guaranteed by
the standard installation). It may be a good idea to have isolated
accounts, containing the 32/64 bit installations of FPC and Lazarus.

DoDi