[Lazarus] FPC/Lazarus based backup system

Luiz Americo Pereira Camara luizmed at oi.com.br
Mon Aug 22 17:54:25 CEST 2011

On 22/8/2011 07:38, ik wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 13:39, Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de
> <mailto:mschnell at lumino.de>> wrote:
>
>     On 08/21/2011 07:30 PM, ik wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         Does any of you know of a good backup system written using
>         FPC/Lazarus, working inside Linux and open source ?
>
>     Why would you want this ? In most cases rsync does a perfect job.
>     Doing rsync with the help of Dirvish performs the backup perfectly
>     automatic.
>

> To manage things in a more easy way.
> Even a daemon for automated backups with rsync is good. but I do not
> want to cli every time i need to backup. And I prefer Pascal programs
> then C/++ based. :)

There's this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/becape/

It has some time that i don't update it but should work.

I have plans to overtake the limitations:

  - Improve UTF8 file names (it was written when Lazarus does not
support Unicode)
  - Change from zlib to zip (use abbrevia)
  - create standalone components so can be  integrated in fpc programs
  - Improve the code architecture (separate GUI from logic etc)

I will do an exam Wednesday that is taking my time. I hope starting next
week i can work in it (along other code related tasks like fixing VTV bugs)

Luiz