[Lazarus] Lazarus Portuguese translation situation

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 08:43:19 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Paulo Costa <paco at fe.up.pt> wrote:
>> 4) Any other option I didn't think of.
>
> if 4) can be: I will maintain it. I would see it as the be the best option.

I am against such a divisive effort of having 2 translations for the
same language.

Imagine if people from jamaica would start a jamaican_english and
leave it half backed, or next thing there will be corsegan_french 2%
complete for years, moldavian_romenian, etc, instead of everyone
contributing to a single translation for each language. I'm in favor
to Wikipedia's solution: ban such things: 1 language should have only
1 translation. People should try to get into agreements, instead of
just forking.

You should have brought up particular texts where you think the
translation is too brazilian and then we could agreed how to solve the
issues on a common ground, but you didn't even try that, did you?

But I don't think it is too late, I propose that you bring up all real
cases of what you don't like in the pt_BR translation, we could copy
it to a pt version and see if all differences can be worked out.

If there is room enough for two versions of the same word we could use
that. If there isn't, then use wikipedia's solution: Don't change just
to change what is already there. Everyone understands all words
anyway.

> Many times, the word used to describe a certain concept are not the same, allowing you to identify the writer origin in one or
> two phrases.

So what? Can't you understand the words? Or are you alergic to
portuguese words you consider too brazilian?

I imagine what makes americans and britons so englightened that there
are no flame wars going on to decide if the translation should spell
"color" or "colour". The equivalent of our situation would be britons
considering american versions of words so repulsive that they would
need to fork their own translation, again I wonder why they can get
along while clearly part of the portuguese speeking community doesn't
even want to try to get along.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho