[Lazarus] Building documentation

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sun Dec 11 18:38:03 CET 2011

The fpdoc project feature simplifies the maintenance and building of the
docmentation considerably. I've just uploaded an patch (#20787) with
fpdoc projects for building the documentation for the LCL and LazUtils
packages. Projects for building the RTL and FCL documentation are
available on demand.

Some notes:

The latest (trunk) version of fpdoc is required, it contains a couple of
updates which are missing in the release versions. Some more flaws shall
be fixed soon, hopefully.

The project files must reside in the proper directory, because they
contain relative references to the PAS and XML files. I found it
convenient to use a user-specific filename prefix, e.g. "my", so that
logfiles etc. can be found easily in a directory listing or file open
dialog.

The projects assume that all FPC and Lazarus documentation resides in a
common directory, the supplied projects assume \AllDocs\. Any better ideas?
Most options (except booleans) can be overridden by commandline
arguments, e.g.
 > fpdoc --project=mylcl --format=chm

For documentation writers docs\html\mkhtml.bat has been supplied, which
allows to build the documentation for a single LCL unit. Usage:
 > mkhtml <unit> <extension>
e.g.
 > mkhtml controls pp
The build log goes into <unit>-log.txt, the HTML files into test\.

Any comments?

DoDi