[Lazarus] Cannot build current trunk - codetools

Frank Church vfclists at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 18:46:49 CET 2011

On 3 December 2011 15:48, Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 16:15:24 +0100
> Bart <bartjunk64 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Reported by lainz in the bugtracker:
> > http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=20799
>
> Please test.
>
> Mattias

I don't know how welcome or apt this comment may be as it appears to a
contentious issue, but it has been on my mind for some time.

Every now and then I see a message about trunk not compiling or some the
feature being broken.

I thought one of the reasons for proposing a change to Git or some other
distributed VCS is that you do all your work in your local branch, merge
with HEAD frequently and you only push your changes to the main repository
if everything works properly.
It is understood that features may get broken as it they are hard to test,
but shouldn't compilation succeed? This suggests work is being 'saved' to
the repository which shouldn't be the case.

I am not proposing a change to git or other if core developers are content
with Subversion, I'd just want to know if it is a reflection of working
practices which may or may not be influenced by the choice of VCS and
methodologies surrounding its usage.

> --

Frank Church