[Lazarus] Cannot build current trunk - codetools

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Dec 3 20:01:27 CET 2011

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 17:46:49 +0000
Frank Church <vfclists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 December 2011 15:48, Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 16:15:24 +0100
> > Bart <bartjunk64 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Reported by lainz in the bugtracker:
> > > http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=20799
> >
> > Please test.
> >
> > Mattias
> >

> I don't know how welcome or apt this comment may be as it appears to a
> contentious issue, but it has been on my mind for some time.
>
> Every now and then I see a message about trunk not compiling or some the
> feature being broken.
>
> I thought one of the reasons for proposing a change to Git or some other
> distributed VCS is that you do all your work in your local branch, merge
> with HEAD frequently and you only push your changes to the main repository
> if everything works properly.
> It is understood that features may get broken as it they are hard to test,
> but shouldn't compilation succeed?

It compiled with 2.5.1 and 2.7.1.
I copied the code from a place I thought I had tested with 2.4.5.
Apparently I have buggy memory. Sorry for that.

> This suggests work is being 'saved' to
> the repository which shouldn't be the case.

Or it suggests that you need some more imagination.
FPC is a very fast compiler, so I don't believe any one is committing
without compiling first.

> I am not proposing a change to git or other if core developers are content
> with Subversion, I'd just want to know if it is a reflection of working
> practices which may or may not be influenced by the choice of VCS and
> methodologies surrounding its usage.

?

Mattias