[Lazarus] Petition to Skype

ik idokan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 18:26:03 CET 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 19:18, Andreas Schneider <aksdb at gmx.de> wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 6, 2011, at 17:32 Marco Ciampa wrote:

> >> and Skype is not the only or dominant choice any more like it used to
> be.
> >> There are alternatives although I have not used them nor I know any
> details.
> >>
> >> Maybe you should put the energy to some competing open source project.
>
> > Name one, please (it is not sarcasm, I do not know any really working
> > well ...)
>

> If the concern is about VOIP only, then I would say: SIP. SIP has been
> there  long  before  Skype  and is still the default in most corporate
> environments.  There  are  tons  of  clients supporting SIP (even most
> Cisco  products).  Maybe there are event protocol extensions to handle
> video chat.
>
> I  think  there are pretty nice combinations of XMPP and SIP around to
> combine  classical  text based messengers with VOIP. AFAIK Google Talk
> uses XMPP+SIP. (Btw. XMPP is also older than Skype ... ;-))

XMPP can pass also codecs of audio and video, and SIP can pass mime based
attachments, so you can make it send texts and html as well :)
The Audio/Video of VoIP (or normal image) is passed by RTP, and both XMPP
and SIP are groups of protocols rather only one.

But imho if we well have free SIP and XMPP servers that support free codecs
(such as G711, silk etc..) then we do not need Skype at all.
However we still depends on clients that support such things. Most XMPP
clients know how to pass text only. And most SIP based clients know how to
pass Audio only.

My 2 cents :)

> --
> Best Regards,