[Lazarus] Check changes on disk with loading

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sun Dec 11 16:12:27 CET 2011

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 16:31:36 +0200
Juha Manninen <juha.manninen62 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/12/11 Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>
>
> > You are in the wrong trouser. Please come back to us.
> >

> What does that mean?

It means you didn't understand an option, so you asked. This is good.
But then you didn't wait for the answer, guessed something. Which is
bad. Because you guessed wrong. Then you find out that the option does
not what you guessed.
Still not stopping, you continue ...

> The setting didn't work as I expected, no matter which
> trousers I wear. :)
>
> I guess the setting has effect when an external process changes a file
> while Lazarus has focus. I did not test that now.

... and continue ...

> I tested changing focus to another editor, changing and saving the file and
> giving Lazarus the focus again.

... and continue ...

> Then I always get the "files have changed on disk" dialog with a diff view
> and everything. The setting has no effect for that.

... and continue ...

> About the wording, Zeljan's version is best so far although it is not
> proper English either.
> "Check if files changed on disk" or "Check file changes on disk" is better.

... and continue.

Is this really clever?

> Tested on Linux with QT bindings.

IMO an option to disable "checking files on disk" makes no sense.
No one ever asked for that.

As I explained: The option is how to check for changes, not if.

About wrong trousers: see Terry Pratchett.

Mattias